Erectile Dysfunction Tablets
Impotence, or erectile dysfunction (ED), is an abnormal physical or psychological state of a male, marked by his inability to engage in sexual intercourse because of failure to have or maintain an erection. It has become common problem among men these days due to various factors like unhealthy lifestyle, medication, reduced exercise etc.
What is erectile dysfunction?
To understand erectile dysfunction, it is important to know how erection develops, it starts in the brain with a thought of sexual urge that makes the signal pass onto the reproductive organ that leads to increased blood flow to the penis and results in a man getting an erection, but when the man is not able to maintain an erection in spite of frequent attempts this creates problems in ejaculation and this is called erectile dysfunction. The problem usually arises when the nerves fail to produce enough nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels and allows them to rush into the chambers in the penis. Or it could be due to blockages or arterial walls that interferes with blood to flow freely. Or else ED could be a signal to some underlying diseases such as heart disease or diabetes.
Erectile dysfunction causes
People suffering from any of these conditions can have erectile dysfunction,
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- high blood pressure
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Blockage or dysfunction of blood vessels
- Peyronie’s disease
- Substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- BPH treatments
- Blood vessel diseases
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Smoking cigarettes
- Certain medications
- Tobacco & alcohol use
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Due to age
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
Erectile dysfunction symptoms
- Difficulty sustaining an erection
- Decreased interest in sexual activity
- Unable to ejaculate
- Painful erections
Men face impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED), if they have low levels of hormone called DHEA Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) (produced naturally by adrenal glands). Impotence or ED is a condition in which a man can’t achieve or maintain an erection when indulged in sexual activity. It is a common problem that can affect anyone at any age. There are various treatments to correct impotency
Treating erectile dysfunction
Your doctor will first check your underlying health conditions that could be the reason for your erectile dysfunction. Depending on the cause and severity of your erectile dysfunction, the doctor will opt for the following treatments
- The doctor may give oral medications such as Sildenafil Citrate (Viagra), Tadalafil (Adcirca, Cialis), Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn), and Avanafil (Stendra) that are known to treat erectile dysfunction satisfactorily for many men.
- Phosphodiesterase type V inhibitors (PDE-5 inhibitors) are the most commonly used therapy for erectile dysfunction.
- Penile injection therapy, intracavernous injection, is considered to be very effective to treat Erectile Dysfunction
- Intraurethral suppository therapy, also called the medicated urethral system for erections (MUSE), is very effective in treating ED, especially for men if other treatments like oral medication and injections have not worked.
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), is the treatment done for low testosterone (cause of ED) this can be given in the form of injection, topical gel or skin patch having testosterone to compensate the missing testosterone in the body.
- The doctor may consider a penile implant to treat erectile dysfunction. Penile implant surgery is a short procedure, can last up to an hour or so.
- Alprostadil, available as an injection or a suppository, is a drug that enlarges blood vessels and promotes blood flow throughout the body, including the penis, so it helps men with ED problems to sustain erection
Preventing erectile dysfunction
The best way to prevent erectile dysfunction is to make healthy lifestyle choices and to manage any existing health conditions
- Change your lifestyle –to reduce your risk of erectile dysfunction it is very important to follow a healthy lifestyle like regular exercise, eat a balanced diet, avoid alcohol, quit smoking and take care of your health by going for regular check-ups. Your overall wellbeing contributes to your sexual health. Certain lifestyle changes can help you stay fit, and reduce the risk of developing erectile dysfunction.
- Take care of your mental health – your mental wellbeing plays a very important role in maintaining your sexual health. If you constantly subject yourself to mental and emotional stress, it can disturb your sex life and can interfere with your ability to get and maintain an erection. This can add to your mental stress. If you feel that you are felling extremely stressful or depressed, visit your doctor and take appropriate treatment.
- Manage your chronic illnesses – if you are suffering from any chronic illnesses go for regular check-ups and medical screening tests. Take care to regulate your blood sugar, try to keep blood pressure at healthy levels, maintain your cholesterol levels by avoiding fatty foods and take the required medication, manage your cardiovascular disease and prostate disorders by frequent checkups, these diseases often cause ED
- Avoid certain medicines – people who take medication for managing blood pressure, or take pain relievers, allergy or cold medicine, antihistamines and certain antidepressants are at high risk for experiencing problems with your erection, these medicines are powerful and kill your ability to get aroused. Consult your doctor and try to change the dose or medicines that causes ED
- Get tested for testosterone – is a hormone, that reflects the sexual characteristics of a man.Low or high levels can indicate health problems associated with the manliness or masculinity of a man.if you are experiencing ED get tested for testosterone levels. This hormone is responsible for maintaining of muscle mass ,strength and proper erections.
- Reduce your belly fat – obsess people need to take care of their belly fat as this is associated with risks for ED. Men whose waist is above 39 inches are at higher risk for experiencing ED, as a high waist circumference indicates higher levels of harmful visceral fat that interferes with testosterone production and higher inflammation, both factors which can hurt your penis, resulting in erection problems
- Get enough sleep – a good sleep is essential for your brain to balance hormones like dopamine and serotonin that have an effect on your erection.if you get sufficient sleep you‘ll feel energetic and sexually active. a poor sleep interferes with your erections
Erectile dysfunction is the most common problem faced by men due to various factors, but it can be managed with proper treatment. Now a days it has become very convenient to take online consultation and order prescribed medicines to treat erectile dysfunction. You just have to fill a form having few brief questions related to ED and your symptoms. Once you answer the questions, the health experts available online will go through the information provided by you and will prescribe medicines. That will be delivered at your door step.