We take medicines with a hope to get cured of illnesses and diseases. Medicines also help us get well soon by destroying the antibodies and save lives of millions of people undergoing treatment for various diseases, but at the same time there are many medicines that can cause severe side effects that can disrupt the balance of chemicals and fluids in our body. Side effects is caused by the prescription, over the counter medicines, herbal, vitamin supplements and other various other medicines.
Side effects caused by medicines are as follows:-
- hearing problems
- vision changes
- impaired alertness
- skin flushing
- irregular heartbeat
- pain killers
- medicines given for cancer treatment
- anti anxiety medicines
- sleep aids
- medicines prescribed for blood pressure
- diabetic medicines
- heart problem medication
- combination medicines also cause severe side effects
Preventing side effects
Side effects of medicines can be prevented by following certain precautions like:-
- Always take medicines as prescribed by your doctor
- Always read the instructions given on the pack of medicines
- Before taking any medicines like vitamins, supplements and other over the counter medicines try to collect information about them; do not take it just because someone advised you to take that particular medicine.
- Always remember, effect of same medicine may be different to each individual, so do not take anyone else’s medicines, even though you have the same symptoms.
- Always inform your doctor if you have allergy problems.
- Keep your doctor informed about your other medication even if they have been prescribed by other doctors. Tell your doctor if you are taking any herbal medicines, vitamins and other supplements.
- If you are suffering from any health problems like liver, kidney, heart, or circulation problems inform your doctor before taking any medicines as they may cause severe side effects.
- Make sure to ask your doctor, if you need to alter your life style to reduce your medicine intake, sometimes small changes in your diet, can help you feel better instead of taking medicines.
- Ask you doctor if exercising can reduce the need to take certain medications.
- It is very important to note that you have to take medicines for a certain period only till your illness is cured, do not continue to take medicines even though your medication course is over.
- Do not forget to ask your doctor the proper dosage, timing and duration of taking medicines to avoid side effects.
Conclusion – Almost all the drugs come with some side effects, take care not to take any drug without any proper information and do not take any drug with alcohol or with any other medicine not prescribed by your doctor. If you take precautions and follow your doctor’s advice you’ll be safe from side effects to a great extent.