Testosterone is the male sex hormone. It is essential for many body functions to take place normally. Testosterone is the hormone responsible for puberty in boys- growth of hair, deep voice and increased muscle. After the age of 30, the levels of testosterone secreted in the body may begin to decline. Optimum levels of testosterone is essential for normal functioning and lack of it may lead to decreased sex drive, lower sperm count, difficulty in concentration, erectile dysfunction and depression.
Proven Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels Naturally
- Eat a balanced diet filled with nutrients – carbs, fats and proteins in the requisite amounts. Proteins help in maintaining weight and also boost testosterone levels. Carbs are also essential. Studies show that some amount of healthy fats also need to be consumed in order to maintain healthy testosterone levels.
- Exercising regularly is essential for optimum testosterone levels. High intensity workouts and weight lifting are the best forms of exercise to maintain testosterone levels. People who exercise regularly have shown to have higher testosterone levels. High intensity training is more beneficial in boosting testosterone levels than altering diet.
- Reduce your stress levels if possible. Stress in inversely proportional to the testosterone levels in body. This is because, when the body is under stress, body releases a hormone called cortisol, also known as the stress hormone. The higher the level of cortisol in body, lower the testosterone released. Hence it is very important to manage stress through techniques like yoga, meditation, praying, etc. Also maintain a healthy lifestyle as stress may lead to gain in weight and over eating.
- Get sun kissed as it leads to formation of vitamin D in the body. Exposing your body to sunlight each day leads to formation of Vitamin D in the body. Vitamin D is known to be a natural testosterone booster. Vitamin D is known to boost and help in formation of nucleus in the sperm cells. You must get your daily fix of vitamin D by sitting in the sun for some time every morning. Vitamin D also boosts the immunity of the body as well as testosterone levels.
- Zinc is a very important mineral and has a big role in raising the testosterone levels in the body. Zinc is found in fish and meat. It is also found in cheese, raw milk, beans and yoghurt. A daily intake of up to 40 mg per adult is recommended. Studies show that getting appropriate amounts of zinc each day helped increasing the testosterone levels significantly. So you must supplement your diet with zinc if you want to increase your testosterone levels.
- Go sugar free and sleep more for healthy testosterone levels. Get at least 8 to 9 hours of sleep as the body needs rest in order to release hormones in required limits. Also reduce your sugar intake as much as possible as sugar is known to curb testosterone levels.
- You may take a few testosterone boosters like Ashwagandha, ginseng and goat weed. However, consume these only after getting them recommended by an practitioner.
So these were a few ways to boost your testosterone levels naturally. If you liked the article or have any questions, do let us know by commenting below.