Studies have evidence that people suffering from severe depression have sexual problems. Depression is considered as one of the many causes of erectile dysfunction. Up to 90 percent of men who are depressed suffer from erectile dysfunction. Earlier when a person with erection problems visited doctor, he was given some medicines to treat erection problems and was recommended not to overstress and eat a healthy diet, and many doctors failed to recognize depression could also contribute o erectile dysfunction. But if depression is dealt it can decline sexual problems to a great extent.
The sexual urge depends upon the stimulation caused by your chemicals in brain. When there are not sufficient brain chemicals to stimulate the blood flow needed for an erection, erectile dysfunction occurs – it is inability to engage in sexual intercourse because of failure to have or maintain an erection. it is important to know how erection develops, it starts in the brain with a thought of sexual urge that makes the signal pass onto the reproductive organ that leads to increased blood flow to the penis and results in a man getting an erection, but when the man is not able to maintain an erection in spite of frequent attempts this creates problems in ejaculation and this is called erectile dysfunction.
The problem usually arises when the nerves fail to produce enough nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels and allows them to rush into the chambers in the penis. Or it could be due to blockages or arterial walls that interfere with blood to flow freely. Or else ED could be a signal to some underlying diseases such as Depression – it reduces the person’s ability to think and function positively, people suffering from depression have chemical imbalances, chemicals in the brain like neurotransmitters function differently in the affected patients than those who are not affected. People under the influence of depression lack sexual desire that cause erectile dysfunction. Brain chemicals like neurotransmitters that regulate communication across circuits connecting to different nerves of brain region which carries out functions related to sexual act can cause erectile dysfunction.
Signs of Depression and Erectile Dysfunction
- difficulty sustaining an erection
- decreased interest in sexual activity
- unable to ejaculate
- painful erections
- erectile problems after an intense event
- suffer from anxiety
- You have erectile dysfunction along with strong feeling angry, feeling empty from within, not able to concentrate, fatigue, sleeping disorders and stress.
- resort to substance abuse like alcohol and smoking
- diarrhoea , constipation, back pain
- To treat erectile dysfunction your doctor will treat your depression as feeling happy and healthy may help you get back to a normal sex life.
- Sometimes erectile dysfunction could be due to side effects caused by antidepressant you take, your doctor may give you different course of medication like – Sildenafil (Viagra), Tadalafil (Adcirca, Cialis), Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn), and Avanafil (Stendra) that are known to treat erectile dysfunction satisfactorily for many men.
- Take antidepressant dose after sexual act
- Your doctor may suggest you the ways to overcome depression to treat erection problems. Getting morning sunlight has long been associated with boosting healthy living; also well for your brain.
- You doctor will suggest you to exercise regularly that helps improve blood circulation to the sexual organs and also to get out of depressive mood.
- Stay away from drugs, limit alcohol consumption and smoking, and do not entertain negative thought that triggers symptoms of depression and that can add to erectile dysfunction.
Conclusion – Both depression and erectile dysfunction can lower your quality of life, but fortunately both are treatable. So if you are going through these problems get treated and be positive.